Government House, Rangoon
Photographer: Klier, Philip Adolphe (c.1845-1911)
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Government House at Rangoon (Yangon), in Burma, probably taken by Philip Adolphe Klier in the 1890s. This is a view of the new Government House in Rangoon, built between 1892 and 1895. It replaced a timber building and was designed in what its architect, a Mr Hoyne-Fox, described as ‘Queen Anne Renaissance’ style. Rangoon was itself rebuilt on a grid plan by the British colonial government in the mid-19th century and the later 19th century saw the construction of a number of new public buildings. B.R. Pearn, in his ‘History of Rangoon’ (1939), notes that there was some local criticism of the aesthetic quality of these new buildings.