Government Aided English School [Jamalpur].
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the School at Jamalpur taken by an unknown photographer, c.1897 from the Elgin Collection: 'Presented to His Excellency the Earl of Elgin & Kincardine...as a Memento of His Excellency's Visit to the East Indian Railway Workshops at Jamalpur November 30th 1897'. The main workshops for the East India Railway Company were built in 1862 at Jamalpur, some 300 miles north-west of Calcutta. Jamalpur was the first of the major railway towns in India, built and administered by the East India Railway Company and populated entirely by railway employees. By the 1880s the workshops employed 5,000 people and by 1906 the number was close to 10,000. Apprentices, European or Eurasian were well catered for in an extensive training school and residential quarters. There was also a church, a Roman Catholic chapel, a Hospital and a Mechanics Institute with a library, billiards room and swimming pool.