Photograph of the School at Jamalpur taken by an unknown photographer, c.1897 from the Elgin Collection: 'Presented to His Excellency the Earl of Elgin & Kincardine...as a Memento of His Excellency's Visit to the East Indian Railway Workshops at Jamalpur November 30th 1897'. View of pupils posing in front of the single storey brick building. The main workshops for the East India Railway Company were built in 1862 at Jamalpur, situated some 300 miles north-west of Calcutta. Jamalpur was the first of the major railway towns in India, built and administered by the East India Railway Company and populated entirely by railway employees. Initially the recruitment of workers was done by introducing men from England but gradually suitable staff were trained on site. Apprentices, European or Eurasian were well catered for in an extensive training school and residential quarters. There was also a church, a Roman Catholic chapel, a Hospital and a Mechanics Institute with a library and swimming pool.