General view of Umbher, Jeypoor.
Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph taken from the fort at Amber, Rajasthan, part of the 'Crofton Collection: Topographical and architectural views mostly in India', taken by Bourne & Shepherd in the 1870s. The studio of Bourne & Shepherd was founded by Samuel Bourne in partnership with Charles Shepherd in 1863, and became the most successful photographic firm on the subcontinent. This photograph shows the small box-like balconies that are featured along the exterior walls of the Amber fort, used to break up the skyline. Beyond the wall of the fort is the town of Amber set in a valley below. Amber was the Kachwaha Rajput capital from c. 1150 until 1727 when they moved to Jaipur. Built by Raja Man Singh (1592-1615), the fort at Amber is built on a rectangular plan and surrounds a large chowk.