Garden pavilion on the Hooghly [Calcutta]
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A Hand-coloured print from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. A view of a pavilion within a garden, at an unidentified location on the banks of the River Hooghly. The river Hooghly (Hugli) is a distributary of the river Ganges flowing into the Bay of Bengal. In 1690, the British abandoned Hooghly, their trading post 38km up the Hooghly River from present-day Calcutta, and moved downriver to three small villages - Sutanati, Govindpur and Kailkata. Calcutta, the capital city of the British Raj until 1911, got its name from the last of those three tiny settlements. By the end of the eighteenth century, the banks of the River Hooghly were studded with elegant houses, called garden-houses with grounds sweeping down to the river's edge. The row of palladian mansions lining the river approach to Calcutta provided an impressive view.