Government House, Chandernagore
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A Hand-coloured print of the Government House Chandernagore, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. Chandernagore, 32 km from Calcutta, was the site of the French East India Company's factory and remained under French rule until 1952 when a referendum made it a part of India. This is a view looking towards the main entrance of the Government House Changernagore from the street. The town is interesting in that it was one of the first French settlements in India and still retains echoes of its French heritage, particularly in its architecture.