Government House, Barrackpore
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A Hand-coloured print of the Government House at Barrackpore, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. Barrackpore, north of Calcutta along the Hooghly river, was founded in 1775 as a cantonment. The Government House, designed by Captain Thomas Anbury in 1813 was used as a country residence for the British Governor-Generals. This is a view from the south-west of Government House (Barrackpore House) at Barakpur. It is now used as a hospital.