Government Place, Calcutta
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of Government Place, Calcutta, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. Government Place was a continuation of Old Court House Street and was so named as it passed by Government House. Government House was built by Marquess Wellesley, who had became Governor General in 1798. Captain Charles Wyatt, the architect, based his designs for the building on Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire. There are four large ceremonial gateways at each end of the carriageways on the north and south facades.