Ghaut near Hooghly College [Calcutta]
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of the Hooghly College and Ghat, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. View of the College at Hooghly with the steps to the ghat (landing-stage). The Hooghly college at Chinsura, on the banks of the Hooghly river, was established in 1836 by a private trust. It was in a Palladian house built by General Perron, the French General who became the commander-in-chief of the Scindia army and surrendered to Lord Lake in 1803 in the Anglo-Maratha war.