Garden Reach, Hooghly, Calcutta
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Vibart Collection, showing Garden Reach at Calcutta taken by an unknown photographer about 1865. Garden Reach was a suburb of Calcutta where large 'garden houses' swept down to the river's edge and made an impressive view for travellers on their approach to the city. The wide distances between the 'garden-houses' were so designed in the belief that it would reduce the spread of disease by aiding air flow. Colonel Robert Kyd, the founder of the Botanical Gardens, built his house 'Shalimar' there and Colonel Henry Watson began a dockyard in the area in 1780.