Golconda Fort general view, form [sic] Bala Hisar.
Photographer: Dayal, Deen
Medium: Photographic print
Panoramic photograph in two parts, taken by Deen Dayal in the 1880s, from the Curzon Collection: 'Views of HH the Nizam's Dominions, Hyderabad, Deccan, 1892'. Golconda was a thriving commercial centre in the 13th and 14th centuries, but it was not until the 16th century that it became the capital and dynastic centre the Qutb Shahi dynasty (1512-1687). The fort, which pre-dates the 16th century, is situated on an isolated granite hill. The outer curtain wall of the fort is 4.8 km (3 miles) in circumference and incorporates a total of 87 bastions. Within this wall there is a second double wall which circles the town and an inner wall which encloses boulders and other natural landscape features. This view is taken from the Bala Hisar, or citadel, which sits on the crown of the hill, approached by a steep set of steps which pass through the second and third curtain wall.