Photographer: Dayal, Deen
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the fort at Gulbarga, Karnataka, from the Curzon Collection: 'Views of HH the Nizam's Dominions, Hyderabad, Deccan, 1892', taken by Deen Dayal in the 1880s. In the early 14th century the Deccan was occupied by Muhammad Tughluq (r.1325-51) who brought the entire region under the rule of the Delhi Sultanate. Later in the century Gulbarga became the capital of the Bahmani kingdom (1347-1527), a newly founded independent state. Gulbarga was capital of the Bahmanis from 1347 until 1424 when the capital was transferred to Bidar. The Bahmanis ruled over most of the Deccan until the late 15th and early16th centuries when the kingdom was divided into five independent states. The fort at Gulbarga was originally built by Raja Gulchand. Later the founder of the Bahmani dynasty Ala-ud-din Hasan Bahmani Shah (r.1347-1358) added the Bala Hissar, or main citadel, in the centre of the fort. This is a view of the double outer wall of the citadel, with its semicircular turrets on the sides and corners.