Golconda Fort, 1902-03. 752518
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Golconda Fort, from the Macnabb Collection (Col James Henry Erskine Reid): Album of Indian views, taken in c.1902-03. The fort is situated on an isolated granite hill at Golconda, in the Deccan. The site was a well known fort and commercial centre in the 13th and 14th centuries, but it flourished in the 16th century under the Qutb Shahi Sultans. The outer curtain wall of the fort is 4.8 kilometres (3 miles) in circumference and incorporates a total of 87 bastions. Within this wall there is a second double wall, which circles the town and an inner wall, which encloses boulders and other natural landscape features. A number of notable buildings are situated at the fort including the Diwan's Palace and the Jami Masjid.