Government House, Madras
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Government House, at Madras (Chennai) in Tamil Nadu, part of the Earl of Jersey Collection: 'India. Bombay to Madras', taken by an unknown photographer in the 1880s. Madras lies on the Bay of Bengal in the north-east corner of the state and was the first important settlement of the East India Company. The city was founded in 1639 and construction began on Fort St George in 1640; Government House was one of India’s first Government Houses, and has a magnificent separate Banqueting Hall. The original structure was a Garden House purchased in 1753 from a Portuguese merchant, Luis de Madeiros. In 1800 it was expanded by Lord Edward Clive, Governor of Madras between 1798 and 1803, to the designs of John Goldingham, a Danish mathematician, and was given a grand two-storey classical façade with deep verandahs and irregular colonnades. An additional storey was added in 1860 and a huge verandah in 1895 after this photograph was taken. This is a general view of the building from the English-style park in which it is set.