General view of old fort and temples, Badami, Bijapur District 10003340
Photographer: Burgess, James
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the old fort and temples at Badami, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s. Badami, formerly known as Vatapi, was the capital of the early Chalukya rulers in the 6th - 8th centuries. The town is situated between two rocky hills of red sandstone that surround an artificial lake. There are two later forts that overlook the town. The northern one is called the Fifty-two Rocks fort and the southern one, Battlefield fort. They were dismantled in 1845. The north fort is perched on steep rocky outcrops. The access was through stone steps along a slow winding ascent. The temple on top of the hill in the photograph is the Upper Shivalaya temple. Around the south fort there are four rock-cut shrines while structural temples dominate the site on the opposite north fort. At the eastern end of the lake there is the Bhutanatha temple complex.