Photograph of the Galaganatha temples and a dolmen at Aihole in Bijapur district, taken by James Burgess around 1874. Aihole was one of the capitals and an important commercial centre of the early western Chalukya, a powerful dynasty which ruled the Deccan from the 6th century. Together with the two other capitals of Badami and Pattadakal, the site has preserved many Hindu and Jain temples which belong to a period that goes from the 6th to the 12th centuries, belonging to the early and late Chalukya periods and to the Rashtrakuta era. The Galaganatha group of temples is a series of Hindu temples of the 9th-10th centuries of the Rashtrakuta period. They are entered through an ornate gateway. There are several stone dolmens at the site, probably erected during pre-Chalukya period. A single dolmen stands close behind the temples of Galaganatha. The great top slab rests upon upright pillars, leaving the sides open all round.