General view of Jain caves and Hindu temple at Dharasinva
Photographer: Sykes, D.H.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jain caves and the Hindu temple at Dharasinva, taken by D.H. Sykes in 1875. In his report of the operations in Western India in 1875-76 James Burgess wrote, 'About two miles north-east from the town, in a ravine facing west, is a group of caves, known as the Dabar Lena or Torla Lena...Four of them are in the north side of the ravine, and three on the opposite side, facing north-east; the former are Jain excavations, but some of the latter are probably Vaishnava....In front of the principal cave on the north side has been erected a Saiva temple surrounded by a small court enclosed by high wall, the superstructure of which, on the south side,begins deep qown in the side of the ravine...'