General view of entrance to Mahadeva Cave Temple, Karusa
Photographer: Sykes, D.H.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the entrance to the Mahadeva Cave Temple at Karusa, taken by D.H. Sykes in 1875. In his report of the operations in Western India in 1875-76 James Burgess wrote, 'Fifty feet north of the large cave is another, known as Mahadeva's...with a fragment of a small square chattri in front for the Nandi or bull of Siva. The facade is 43 1/2 feet long with a low parapet wall in front, from behind which rise four square pillars with thin bracket capitals.'