Photograph of the Jogai Mandir Cave Temple at Amba Jogi, taken by D.H. Sykes in 1875-76. The town of Amba Jogi is located in the modern state of Maharashtra. In his report of the operations in Western India in 1875-76 James Burgess wrote, "There have been a number of cave temples also, Brahmanical and Jaina, of which the most entire remaining is known as Jogai's Sabha Mandap...It is cut in a coarse trap rock...In the midst of the open court...stands a pavilion...Inside the roof is supported by four pillars...The whole court, pavilion, and cave, however, are filled to a considerable depth with earth and dung, the shelter being much sought by the village cattle during the heat of the day." This photograph shows the entrance to this cave prior to clearance. The inside of the cave is impressive; one hall is supported by thirty two pillars and adorned with sculptures of Shiva and Ganesha.