General view from the left of porch and entrance to Buddhist Vihara, Cave II, Ajanta
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the verandah of Cave II at Ajanta, taken by Robert Gill around 1868-70. The Buddhist cave temples of Ajanta were excavated into a horse-shoe shaped cliff overlooking the Waghora River during two time periods; firstly, the
2nd–1st Century BC and secondly in the 5th Century AD. The caves are numbered 1-28 according to their location, not chronologically. They consist of monasteries (viharas) and prayer-halls (chaitya) used by a community of Buddhist monks who resided there. Cave II is a monastery from the late 5th Century which has some remarkable paintings. The verandah has small shrines at the two extremities with a seated Naga king with yaksha attendants on the left and Hariti with a child on the right. The cave has beautiful painted ceilings. This views shows the verandah and the doorway.