General view from the left of porch and entrance to Buddhist Vihara, Cave VII, Ajanta
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the porch and entrance to cave VII, Ajanta taken by Robert Gill c.1868-70. Ajanta is situated in the modern state of Maharashtra. At Ajanta, there are nearly thirty rock-cut caves set into a cliff in a bend in the Waghora river. The temples were found by accident by Captain John Smith on a hunting trip but were not documented properly until the middle of the nineteenth century. The construction of the caves can be divided into two distinct periods, the first dating to the 1st to 2nd centuries BC whilst the second was around 500 years later. Cave VII is a monastery from the late 5th Century which consists of two small porticos with octagonal columns and fluted cushion-like capitals supporting an overhanging eave decorated with a motif of horseshoe-shaped windows in relief. The walls of the antechamber are carved with the miracle at Sravasti.