General view from the left of porch and entrance to Buddhist Vihara, Cave XI, Ajanta
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the verandah of cave XI, Ajanta taken by Robert Gill c.1868-70. Ajanta is situated in the modern state of Maharashtra. At Ajanta, there are nearly thirty rock-cut caves set into a cliff in a bend in the Waghora river. The temples were found by accident by Captain John Smith on a hunting trip but were not documented properly until the middle of the nineteenth century. The construction of the caves can be divided into two distinct periods, the first dating to the 1st to 2nd centuries BC whilst the second was around 500 years later. Cave XI is a monastery that was excavated in the 5th Century. The columned verandah leads to a hall which has four columns with pot-like capitals and a shrine with an image of Buddha carved on a stupa. The verandah columns and doorway used to be painted with decorative motifs and the ceiling has paintings of birds, animals. At either side of the verandah doorway there are large figures of Bodhisattvas.