General view from the right of porch and entrance to Buddhist Vihara, Cave XX, Ajanta
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the exterior of the Buddhist Vihara, Cave XX at Ajanta, taken by Robert Gill around 1868-70, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Buddhist cave temples of Ajanta were first excavated in a horse-shoe shaped cliff overlooking the Waghora River in the 2nd and 1st centuries BC. Cave 20 is a small monastery which belongs to a later phase of excavation at the end of the 5th century. The verandah columns are decorated with carvings on the capitals and bracket figures.