General view from the right of porch and entrance to Buddhist Vihara, Cave XXIII, Ajanta
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the of the porch and entrance to the Buddhist Vihara, Cave XXIII at Ajanta, taken by Robert Gill in c.1868-70, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Buddhist cave temples of Ajanta were first excavated in a horse-shoe shaped cliff overlooking the Waghora River in the 2nd and 1st centuries BC. Cave 23 belongs to a later phase, from the end of the 5th century. The cave is incomplete but the columns of the verandah are richly ornamented with foliation, scrollwork and jewelled bands. The capitals are carved with depictions of figures.