General view from the right of porch and entrance to Buddhist Vihara, Cave XXIV, Ajanta
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the porch of Cave XXIV at Ajanta, taken by Robert Gill in c.1868-70, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Buddhist cave temples of Ajanta were excavated into a horse-shoe shaped cliff overlooking the Waghora River in the 2nd and 1st centuries BC. Cave 24 dates to the end of the 5th century. This monastery was planned on a large scale but was left unfinished. Most of the columns of the porch have fallen or are in a decrepit state but the parts still standing display rich ornamentation. The capitals are carved with flying figures and amorous couples and the shafts have bands with floral designs.