General view from above of Kumapala and Parshvanatha Temples, Girnar Hill, Near Junagadh
Photographer: Sykes, D.H.
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph from above the Kumarapala and Parshvanatha Temples on Mount Girnar, near Junagadh in Gujarat, from the Archaeological Survey of India, taken by D.H. Sykes in c.1869. The holy Girnar mountain rises more than 900 metres above the plain around the town of Junagadh. Along the main path that leads to the central peak there are gateways, shrines and tanks. A group of sixteen Jain sanctuaries stand on a ridge high up on the mountain. These temples date from the Solanki period and later centuries. In the 'Report on the Antiquities of Kathiawad and Kachh of 1874-75', Burgess wrote, "...to the north we enter the enclosure of the temple of Parswanatha, rebuilt, it is said, by Singharama Soni in the latter part of the sixteenth century, and repaired by Premabhai Hemabhai about 1843. It contains a large white marble figure of Parswanatha...This temple is peculiar in having a sort of gallery...The next and last temple to the north is Kumarapals's. It has a long open portico on the west supported by twenty-four columns. The temple proper or mandapa and shrine are small...Indeed, towards the end of last century, there was little of this temple standing, except the mandapa with its beautiful pendentive and the pillars and lintels of the portico...In 1824...Seth Sri Pancha Hansraya Jetha appears, from an inscription, to have been able to proceed with the restauration. The shrine contains three images - in the middle Abhinandanatha, the fourth Tirthankara, dedicated in 1838, and on either side Adinatha and Sambhava - dated in 1791."