General view of the Maqbaras (royal tombs) of the Junagadh Nawabs, Junagadh 817
Photographer: Sykes, D.H.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Maqbaras, or royal tombs, at Junagadh in Gujarat, from the Archaeological Survey of India, taken by D.H. Sykes in c.1869. The town of Junagadh was by ruled by Rajputs until 1472 when Sultan Mahmud Begarha (r.1458-1511) took the city. During the Mughal period the area was under the control of the Mughal viceroy of Gujarat. Junagadh State was founded in 1735 by Muhammed Sher Khan Babi (r.1748-1758), the first of a line of Nawabs from the Muslim Babi dynasty. Their tombs, known as maqbaras, are situated in enclosures within the city walls in two groups dating from the 18th and 19th centuries. The building on the right of this view is Maija Sahiba's Tomb. It was erected by the mother of a ruler of Junagadh, Nawab Mahabat Khanji II (r.1851-1882) and contains her tomb. It is a free-standing structure with a square plan inside a walled enclosure, near the tombs of the Bara Sayyid or twelve saints. The inner tomb is surrounded by a colonnade of cusped arches and crowned by onion domes and small minarets. There are cusped arches around the verandah of the mausoleum and on the window and doors of the inner building. The entire tomb is embellished with sculpted floral designs.