Gopal Bhawan, Deeg
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, of the Gopal Bhavan at Dig, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The Gopal Bhavan is one of four main pavilions in the beautiful 18th-century garden palace of the Jats of Bharatpur at Dig, built by Suraj Mal (ruled 1733-63). The pavilions stand one on each side of a square formal garden laid out in the Persian-Mughal tradition of the char bagh. The garden is divided into four parterres by water channels filled with fountains running from each of the pavilions to an octagonal pool in the centre. The Gopal Bhavan (c.1763), the principal pavilion, is built of yellow sandstone and lies on the western edge of the garden. It is a rectangular building with a projecting central range containing a single-storey hall, flanked by double-storeyed wings. The façade has arcades of cusped arches beneath deep projecting double eaves or chhajjas. This distant view overlooks the garden and shows the pattern of flowerbeds in the foreground.