Gopal Bhawan, Deeg, from the West
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, of a view over the Gopal Sagar looking towards the Gopal Bhavan at Dig, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The Gopal Bhavan is one of four main pavilions in the beaeutiful 18th-century garden palace of the Jats of Bharatpur at Dig, built by Suraj Mal (ruled 1733-63). The pavilions are arranged around a formal garden laid out in the Persian-Mughal tradition of the char bagh, flanked by two large reservoirs or tanks. These supply its innumerable fountains and other water features designed to evoke the romance of the monsoon season. The Gopal Bhavan (c.1763), the principal pavilion, is built of yellow sandstone and lies on the western edge of the garden. This view shows its western façade overlooking the Gopal Sagar. The flat-roofed pavilion is flanked by the Sawan and Bhadon Bhavans, named after the monsoon months, which have curved bangla roofs. The lower arcades of the three pavilions rise from the water in the tradition of Rajput lake palaces.