Gaumukhi Ganga from the North, Girnar [Junagadh]
Photographer: Solankee Studio
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Gaumukhi Ganga from the north, at Girnar in Gujarat, taken by the Solankee Studio around 1900, part of the Curzon Collection: 'Presented with feelings of friendship and sincere admiration to Lord Curzon of Kedleston, Viceroy and Governor-General of India, by H.H. Rasulkhanji, Navab Junagadha. 1900'. The Girnar muntain in Gujarat rises more than 900 metres above the plain and is particularly sacred to the Jains. It was an important pilgrimage centre since the 3rd century BC as indicated by the inscriptions on a boulder with the edicts of the emperor Ashoka and the proclamations of a Kshatrapa and a Gupta ruler. Along the principal path that leads to the central peak there are gateways, shrines and tanks and the principal group consist of 16 Jain sanctuaries dedicated to Neminatha. These temples date from the Solanki period and later. In the 'Report on the Antiquities of Kathiawad and Kachh of 1874-75', Burgess wrote, "...about 200 feet above the Jaina temples, is a Hindu shrine, called Gaumukha, beside a plentiful spring of water." The temple takes its name from a natural spring flowing through a sculpted cow's head.