General view from Jumma Musjid, Lahore
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Macnabb Collection of the Fort in Lahore, taken by an unknown photographer, most likely during the 1890s. Lahore rose to prominence under the rule of the Mughal emperors after Babur (ruled 1526-1530) defeated Ibrahim Lodi, a Sultan of Delhi, in 1526. It was the capital city of Akbar (ruled 1556-1605) from 1584 to 1598. He built the fort on the foundations of an earlier fort and enclosed the city within a wall set with 12 gates. The emperors Jahangir (ruled 1605-27) and Shah Jahan (ruled 1628-58) extended the fort, building garden courtyards and richly decorated white marble pavilions within so that it became a palatial dwelling. This photograph is a view taken from the adjacent Badshahi Mosque looking towards the fort. The mosque was built in 1673-74 by Aurangzeb (Mughal emperor, ruled 1658-1707) and is considered the largest in area on the subcontinent. The tomb of Ranjit Singh is visible in the left of the photograph. Ranjit Singh (1780-1839) was a famous Sikh leader who ruled the Punjab (modern Pakistan) from 1799 to 1839. His tomb, or samadh, was built by his son, Kharak Singh and was completed in 1848. It is a fine example of Sikh architecture with gilded fluted domes, cupolas, kiosks and stone lanterns with an ornate balustrade on the square roof.