General view of the Shahi Bagh Palace, Ahmadabad
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Shahi Bagh Palace at Ahmadabad in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India. The Shahi Bagh Palace, situated near the railway bridge over the Sabermati River, was built in 1622 by Shah Jahan. In about 1835 Mr Williams, a British civil servant, made some additions to the building, including the two wings on the terrace. Since 1960 it has been the Raj Bhavan of the Governor of Gujarat. The building has two storeys, with a third storey over the front only. There is a further sunken storey of Tah-Khanas, or cellars, used as a cool retreat during the hotter months of the year.