General view of the Mosque at Sarkhej, near Ahmadabad
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Mosque at Sarkhej, near Ahmadabad in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, for Archaeological Survey of India. During the reign of Muhammad Shah (r.1442-51) a mosque and a mausoleum were built in Sarkhej in memory of Shaikh Ahmed Khattri (d.1446), who was referred to as Ganj-Bakhsh. Later the place became a retreat for Gujarat rulers, as well as an imperial necropolis. Palaces, gardens, pavilions and gateways were built around an artificial lake that is fed by a channel to the west of the mosque. The mosque is different to earlier mosques in having a roof of even height throughout with no arched facade or minars. It has ten cupolas resting on eighteen carved pillars with Hindu style bracket capitals. On the south side of the mosque is a two storey porch projecting over the water of the tank. This is a view of a section of the corridor around the courtyard, partly roofed by small domes, taken from the north-east.