General view of Jami Masjid entrance and outer wall of court from the south-east, Champaner
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jami Masjid entrance, from the south-east, at Champaner taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India. This mosque, built in 1523 by Sultan Mahmud Begarha (r.1458-1511), is one of the most important architectural achievements of the period. The plan is based on the Jami Masjid in Ahmadabad built some seventy five years earlier. The central section of the mosque sanctuary is raised to three storeys. The eastern facade consists of five pointed archways; the taller central arched entrance is flanked by two minarets. The base of the minarets, up to the vertex of the central doorway are elaborately carved, above this are cornices at intervals. This is a view of the east entrance porch and the outer walls of the courtyard with the minarets of the mosque beyond. The outer wall is in a dilapidated state; this image shows the damaged top of the south minar which was shot off in 1812.