General view of the Nagina Masjid, Champaner
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Nagina Masjid at Champaner in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s for the Archaeological Survey of India. The ruined city of Champaner is situated north-east of Ahmadabad. It was a stronghold of Rajput kings until the Sultanate ruler Mahmud Begarha (r.1458-1511) took the city in 1484. The Nagina Masjid, or Jewel Mosque, dates to the mid-16th century and is situated just north of the citadel. It has a similar plan but on a smaller scale to the Jami Masjid (1523) in the same city, which was in turn modelled on the Jami Masjid at Ahmadabad (c.1424). The central dome had already fallen in when this photograph was taken.