General view of small ruined mosque to the north-west of the Nagina Masjid, Champaner
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a small ruined mosque to the north-west of the Nagina Masjid at Champaner in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The ruined city of Champaner was the stronghold of local Rajput kings until Sultan Mahmud Begarha (r.1458-1511) made it his new capital in the first decade of the sixteenth century. After 23 years of construction, the town was occupied for a short period of time and then left abandoned to the forests surrounding the high fortified hill. When the Mughal Empire collapsed, Champaner was occupied by the Marathas. In 1861 it was ceded to the British. Most of the buildings are in ruins while many mosques have survived.