General view of old temple east of the village near the tank, Dilmal, Gujarat
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the old temple near the tank at Dilmal in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens around the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the 'Revised Lists of Antiquarian Remains in the Bombay Presidency' of 1897, Burgess and Cousens write: 'In the village, enclosed within a rectangular walled court, is the principal temple, that of the presiding deity of the village - the goddess Limboji Mata - of comparatively recent construction. This temple occupies the site of a far older shrine, a portion of whose materials has been rebuilt into the new one. The surrounding minor shrines, which were appendages to this older central temple...show...that they were constructed during that period when architectural construction had reached its highest point of excellence. The image of Limboji Mata was originally in an old temple which now stands in ruins on the bank of the tank to the east of the village...Like the old shrine the new one faces north, a direction reserved for temples dedicated to Vishnu, goddesses and minor deities.