General view of the north side of the Khan Sarowar Tank, Patan 1916
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the north side of the Khan Sarowar Tank at Patan in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. This is a view of the steps leading down to the tank on the north side, with the Shiva Temple built by Damaji Gaikwad in the background. Patan was built on the site of the town of Anhilawada which was the capital of the Solanki dynasty in the 11th and 12th centuries. The city was taken by Muslim governors of the Delhi Sultanate during the 14th century before becoming part of the independent Sultanate State of Gujarat during the 15th century. This tank was renovated by the Mughal governor of Gujarat, appointed by the Emperor Akbar (r.1556-1605).