Gateway of the Fort, Chitradurga
Photographer: Dixon, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the gateway of the Fort at Chitradurga from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: India Office Series, taken by Henry Dixon around 1868. The hill fort at Chitradurga is situated in a rocky landscape north-west of Bangalore. The fortifications were built by the Nayak Palegars in the 17th century. In 1779 Haider Ali captured the mud fort and erected a stone fortress. This Kallina Kote or Palace of Stone has many massive gateways with bent passageways, a palace, a mosque, granaries, oil pits and water tanks. Inside the fort complex there are fourteen old temples; the Hidimbeshwara temple is the oldest on the site. This view shows one of the gateways and a portion of the stone wall with the rocky hillside beyond.