Gopura and stambha of Ulsur Temple, Bangalore
Photographer: Dixon, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the entrance gopura or gateway of the Ulsur temple in Bangalore, taken by Henry Dixon in c. 1868, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. This temple, the largest one in Bangalore, is consecrated to Someshvara. It was probably built in the early 17th century during the period of Hirya Kempe II of the Gowdas dynasty. The temple is situated in a walled compound and consists of a sanctuary with a surrounding passageway and a closed mandapa or hall. A large open mandapa in front has piers carved with yalis, mythical animals. The outer walls are decorated with figures carved in between pilasters. The pyramidal gopura or tower seen in this view is also richly carved with figures and architectural elements. In the foreground is a stambha or free-standing pillar.