General view inside Fort, with Europeans and party posed in foreground, Chitradurga
Photographer: Dixon, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the interior of the Fort at Chitradurga, taken by Henry Dixon around 1868, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The hill fort at Chitradurga is situated in a rocky landscape north-west of Bangalore. The fortifications were built by the Naiks Pallegars in the 17th century. In 1779 Haider Ali captured the mud fort and erected a stone fortress. This Kallina Kote or Palace of Stone has many massive gateways with bent passageways, a palace, a mosque, granaries, oil pits and water tanks. Inside the fort complex there are fourteen old temples; the Hidimbeshwara temple is the oldest temple on the site. This is a view looking towards the walls and fort buildings on the hillside, with two Europeans, bearers and servants posed in the foreground.