General view of the Pan Chakki (watermill), and Mosque of Baba Shah Muzaffar, Aurangabad
Photographer: Nepean, Henry Mack
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Pan Chakki (watermill), and Mosque of Baba Shah Muzaffar at Aurangabad in Maharashtra, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Henry Mack Nepean in 1868. The Dargarh of Baba Shah Muzaffar, the spiritual guide of Aurangzeb, is a plain red building surrounded by a screen of cusped arches. The complex of the Dargah comprises a mosque, a madrasa (theological college), a katcheri (a judicial court), serai (halting-places) and zenanas (women's quarters). A water mill supplies many fountains and tanks. This Pan Chakki or watermill was constructed in 1695; an oblong reservoir was added by Jamil Beg Khan in about 1715. The mill was an impressive engineering feat. Water was pumped from a reservoir in the hills about six kilometres away then channelled into a tank. This water was then used to drive a grindstone to mill flour for the madrasa nearby. Underneath the tank was a large assembly hall supported by four rows of robust pillars.