General view from the north of the temple at Dhotra, Buldana District, Berar
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the temple at Dhotra, Buldana District, Berar, taken by Robert Gill in 1871. The site of Dhotra has some temples built in the Hemapanti style of architecture which flourished in Central India under the Yadava dynasty in the 12th century. Henry Cousens who visited the site in 1902 wrote about this temples, '...The exterior of the temple is fully moulded in ornamental bands, but there are no images whatever, not even the usual three niches round the walls of the shrine. There seems little doubt that these temples more or less devoid of figure sculpture upon the exterior represent the true Hemadpanti class... '. This temple is dedicated to Shiva with a shrine, closed 'mandapa' or antechamber and entrance porch to the east.