General view of the Keshta Raya Temple, Bishnupur
Photographer: Campbell, Walter
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Keshta Raya Temple at Bishnupur, taken by Walter Campbell in c.1869. The temples of Bishnupur were built under the Malla rulers of Bengal, fervent adherents of the Vaishnavite movement which flourished in the area from the fifteenth century onwards. The Kestha Raya temple was built by Ragunath Singha II in 1655 AD. It is a 'jor bangla' or 'two hut' temple, with the typical curved 'Bangla' cornices and roof. There are fine terracotta panels that decorate the outer walls representing scenes from the Ramayana battle and the life of Krishna, together with genre and courtly images.