Hyderabad, Scinde [Sind].
Medium: Photographic print
This print was taken by an unknown photographer in Hyderabad in the 1860s to form part of an album entitled 'Photographs of India and Overland Route'. Founded in 1768 by Ghulam Shah Kalhora, Hyderabad was laid out by his son, Sarfaraz Khan, in 1782 and was the capital of the emirs of Sind. The British East India Company occupied Hyderabad when the Sind became a British protectorate in 1839. This view shows a number of Muslim tombs of the Kalhora and Talpur royal families. The brick-built structures comprise a square chamber with high central dome above and are faced in blue and white tilework of epigraphic, foliate and geometric design.