Hyat Buksh [Lucknow].
Photographer: Ali, Abbas
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of Government House or Banks Kothi from 'The Lucknow Album:containing a series of fifty photographic views of Lucknow,' was taken by
Darogha Abbas Ali c.1874. Initally designed by Claude Martin (1735-1800) during the reign of Nawab Saadat Ali Khan (r. 1798-1814), the Government House was used as a powder magazine. After the mutiny in 1857-1858, it was renamed Banks Kothi for Major Banks, the Commissioner of Lucknow who was killed in the Residency.
"The residence of the Chief Commissioner. This house was built by Nawab Saadut Ali Khan, and was, during the reign of Nuseer-ood-deen Hyder, occupied by Colonel Roberts of the Oudh Service...It was, during the Mutiny, known as 'Banks' House'...Lately the building has been much enlarged and improved, and the garden elegantly laid out..."