Hathio Paur Gateway to the Man Mandir Palace, Gwalior
Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Hathia Paur Gateway to the Man Mandir Palace, Gwalior, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Bourne and Shepherd in c.1883. Gwalior rose to prominence during the period of Tomar Rajput rule between 1398 and 1518, particularly during the reign of Raja Man Singh (r.1486-1517). The Hathia Paur gate is the main entrance of the palace of Man Singh; the Man Mandir, in the fort at Gwalior. The Man Mandir dominates the east flank of the fort with its impressive façade forming part of the curtain wall, regularly spaced by circular towers with domed pavilions. The fort stands on a long, narrow, sheer-sided hill almost 100 m (300 feet) high. A long ramp on the eastern side leads up through six gates to the summit of the hill. The Hathia Paur Gate is the second last of the six gates; the final gate, the Hawa Paur has since been removed.