Hall of Hindu pillars inside the Arhai-din-ka-Jhonpra Mosque, Ajmer.
Photographer: Baudesson, O.S.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Arhai-din-ka-Jhonpra Mosque, by O.S.Baudesson in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. This print is taken from a broken glass plate. The Arhai-din-ka-Jhonpra Mosque (or Hut of Two and a Half Days) lies just outside the Dargah of Khwaja Muin-ud-Din Chishti in south-west Ajmer. This early example of Indo-Islamic architecture was begun in c.1200 by Qutb-ud-Din Aybak (r.1206-1210), Sultan of Delhi, and completed by his successor, Shams-ud-Din Iltutmish (r.1211-1236). The mosque was built in yellow sandstone and masonry taken from local Hindu and Jain temples. The mosque’s monumental façade of seven arches was added by Iltutmish in about 1230 and is decorated with geometric and floral motifs and Koranic inscriptions. This is a view of the prayer hall showing the triple-height colonnades composed of three Hindu or Jain pillars placed one on top of each other to create a single pillar.