Hoshing Shah Ghori's tomb at Mandoo.
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of the 1880s shows the tomb of Hoshang Shah Ghori, the first independent ruler of the Malwa sultanate, from his capital at Mandu in the first half of the fifteenth century. The tomb is situated in an enclosure behind the congregational mosque begun by the same ruler. Like many Muslim tombs, it comprises a single square domed chamber with a stepped approach and doorway to the south. There are four smaller domes at each of the roof corners. The brick skeleton is faced in white marble with blue tilework details. An inscription records that architects of the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan (r. 1628-1657) visited the site to study its construction. It is likely that the architecture of Mandu played an important role in the development of the Mughal era, in particular the use of white marble facing over brick as a method of construction, so popular in the Shah Jahani era.