Hindoo temples on the Hooghly [Calcutta]
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of Dakshineshwar temple, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851.
The Dakshineshwar temple located along the Hooghly River in Calcutta was built by Rani Rashmoni in 1855. The main temple dedicated to the goddess Kali is a tall Nava-ratna temple. Within the temple complex there are twelve smaller temples devoted to Shiva, Radha and Krishna. As the Rani was not a Brahmin not many priests agreed to serve the temple except Ramakrishna and his brother. Ramakrishna Paramahansa (1836-1886) became one of India's greatest religious philosophers and his room in the temple complex is now a museum.